Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix DH's work?

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 13:59

My DH decided to help me this weekend by putting up the deer/rabbit netting around the garden. We have permanently-installed T-posts that we extend with UV-resistant ENT (attached with cable ties) to support the 7ft tall netting.

What I didn't realize (even though I walked past the big pile of dirt in front of the compost bin and wondered where that came from) was that he was trenching around 3 sides (left the south side where my strawberries were creeping out of their bed and into veggie beds inside fence). He filled the trenches with bark mulch and tried to use landscape pegs as usual to secure the bottom of the netting but they're pulling right out.

We can lower the netting so to extend the bottom over onto solid ground to pin the edge down and keep the critters out, but I'm concerned that the trench will fill with water and become a breeding ground for mosquitos. Or will the bark mulch discourage them from laying eggs?

We're supposed to get 1" of rain tonight and more tomorrow so I can hopefully point out the problem and not seem like I'm being unreasonable, but should we backfill with the dirt he just dug out (will still be soft and maybe a bit of a bathtub effect but won't encourage mosquitos), or just extend the trench to the lowest corner and drain it into the (already swampy part of) the back yard where he's tried to cut a swale running downhill into the woods?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix DH's work?

What is the purpose of the trench? If to keep the rabbits from tunneling under, I don't know why you can't just put the dirt back in the trench on top of the netting.

With our garden and very determined rabbits, squirrels, and my cat, we used chicken wire and t-posts and folded it at the ground so 3' up was fence and 1' along the ground. I put 12" concrete pavers on top of the wire on the ground both as a weed barrier space and to keep the animals from digging under. I left it kind of loose to keep the cat from climbing over. If any animals ever got in, I never saw them.

o
RE: How to fix DH's work?

He didn't bury the bottom edge of the netting (which we take down every fall anyway, it's just plastic) so best I can think of is that he thought it would keep weeds from creeping in the sides? But don't think we need 6" deep x 4" wide trench filled with bark mulch (that is going to decompose esp. with all the rain we're getting this week) to do that.

I haven't checked it after yesterday's rain but we've gotten not quite an inch in the past 2 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here