Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need northern exposure idea

Posted by misobento 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 14:14

Hello everyone. (cross posting this in another forum too)

Looking for help with a northern-ish exposure in the front of our house.

The true direction is probably north/east We are a zone 5b.

As you can see, there is high shade from a pine and then the house. Not sure if you would call this a true shaded area?

I would love to find something to hide the meter year round. So am hoping you might have ideas for something taller. Currently I have hostas, ferns, astilbe, coral bells, ginger, bleeding hearts etc. which are all nice, but come winter, everything goes dormant so the front looks incredibly boring.

Sadly, the two rhododendron that I planted four years ago did not do well this winter (-50 wind chills etc) ...we also had our porch redone and more branches snapped off (sigh). I can't decide if I should take them out or let them live as only a few branches are alive.

Anyhow, I hate the landscaping so much that I want to rip it all out, ha! i appreciate any shrub/taller plant ideas as well as what I can do to make it look fuller and more inviting as an entrance.

photo P1240371.jpg
 photo WP_20130611_001_zps2073ca00.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need northern exposure idea

I should mention that I tend to like cottage garden style....nothing overly formal. Thank you!

o

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:47

Thuja orientalis 'Franky Boy' or Thuja plicata 'Whipcord' could be a nice fit for that spot. Very unique, informal conifers. They sort of looks like a perennial grass, but it's evergreen, cold hardy down to z5, and can take a good amount of shade.

If you are looking for something taller. Picea abies 'Reflexa'. This one is a weeper. You stake it to the high you want and then let it cascade back to the ground.

With temps we had this winter, you are probably asking for trouble with most broad-leaf evergreens. I'm in 6b and significant winter burn on my rhododendrons, holly, ect.. Your probably best to focus on conifers

o

In the sunnier place where you need height you might consider adding an ornamental grass, as many have a lasting winter effect with their dried, standing foliage. Another winter interest plant that might work would be red twig dogwood, if cut to the ground annually so lots of red develops without too much size. A daphne for the gas meter could work but might be hit or miss. Some perennial vines (grown on a stake) can add a fair amount of winter interest by their leafless, tentacle-like forms. Some have colored fruits or berries that endure the winter for a while.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here