Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Need to Update Exterior!

Posted by AmyESLP 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:25

Hi! We are wanting to update the exterior of our house. The front door definitely needs new paint but should we go with black or red? New lights? Should we add decorative shutters? What about the landscape? I think the bushes need a trim but how much? Thank you for your time! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Need to Update Exterior!

At this stage, you couldn't see decorative shutters. And I venture most people would go for a red door. As for lighting - always a personal choice when there's so much to choose from in keeping with the style of your house.

Trim down the hedge on the right at least a foot; perhaps 18". Unless you're thinking of taking them out altogether, having them squared off is okay for this particular application. Might be my own personal bias, but I don't mind a neatly trimmed appropriate height hedge.

Eliminate the ball shrub altogether; cut it down to the ground and dig or hack out as much of the stump and underground roots as possible.

I'm torn on the red tree; it's too big for the space and probably slaps against the house. A good arborist could give you options for a professional cutting or trimming back - or even having it taken out.

o

could you please show a clear, sharp, close picture in good lighting of the round green shrub immediately right of door? ... Framed close while getting the entire shrub, top to bottom, in the pic. Also, give an indication of what is directly behind it on the house. Tell what kind of shrub it is.

o

It looks like the hedge may have covered a mullioned window. I'd like to see that window. What is that flowering plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here