Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tesla29

Please share ideas for rejuvenating foundation design ~

tesla29
14 years ago

The large, lovely elm at the SW corner of our 50s ranch succumbed to dutch elm disease and was removed last year. As you can guess, we are really missing the shade and balance this tree provided, and its removal left us with a sloping pit I am planning to fill with topsoil this weekend and plant with some creeping, smothering juniper that will thrive in the stifling Kansas afternoon heat and keep the dirt from washing down into my (long-suffering) neighbor's side yard.

Questions:

1. Suggestions for slope planting? I have access to free vinca, as much as I want from my sister's yard - it thrives in sun here - so if cash runs low I might get that started on the slope now and spring for some actual shrubbery next year.

2. We bought a nice ($$ nursery stock) yellow/red/orange? maple (if I recall correctly it is a "Fiesta") to "replace" the elm, but didn't plant it 4' from the foundation (as the elm originally was), choosing instead to put it slightly in from the farthest window and about 15 feet out into the yard. We've moved it 3 times so far, and I still think it should line up with the s.w. corner of the house. Thoughts?

3. We pulled out 2 of the 5 overgrown yews growing across the front of the house, leaving the 3 you see here that have been cut back by half - they are actually recovering nicely. As much as I dislike yews the trouble of digging them up or pulling them out just wasn't worth it. But now there are the Gaps, as we call them, begging for something. Columnar evergreens? something low? I'd like to draw attention away from those unused basement windows...

4. Anything else you'd like to see disappear or change, please speak up. I have a thick skin and my husband a strong back :)

Thanks in advance for any and all input%Pr

Comments (2)