Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of soil is the best for the planting bed?

Posted by coody 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 14:47

A planting bed under the window has sands. I would like to add soil and pine straw covering it. Can I just use the top soil or I should buy the special garden soil for the vegetables and flowers or for the shrubs and trees. What type of the soil is the best for the exisiting planting bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of soil is the best for the planting bed?

Buy and mix together bagged cow manure and mushroom compost available at box stores, enough to cover top of bed about 3 inches. Plant and then spread pine straw mulch. Sandy soils are best enriched from the surface in the south.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 17:44

Plant in existing soil and mulch afterward. Skip the amendments.

o

Don't go overboard on the organics, unless you intend to plant anew every year, because you will lose a lot of bulk--as much as half or more-- as the material compacts and subsides. It doesn't retain that nice, fluffy texture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here