Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you give us ideas on designing our backyard?

Posted by Babbers 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 14:50

I attached a picture of our yard, which is all dirt! We were originally planning on putting in a large raised planter box along the back built out of wood and a wood retaining wall along the left side where there is a change in grade. We wanted to plant some Emerald Greens along the back in the planter box to give us some more privacy and to block the view of the neighbors yards. I would have a little garden on the retaining wall and then add grass to the rest of the yard with maybe a nice shade tree.

My problem is this, is a large wood planter box a good idea? Would it look strange if we just had the one retaining wall on the left of the yard and then planted our emerald greens straight into the ground along the back?

Is there a way for us to raise the ground along the backside of the fence without a planter box? Or is there a way for us to use stone instead of wood for better appeal? (The reason we chose wood was because it was cost effective and it gave us a way to contain the extra dirt without putting it up against the fence.)

Sorry for all the questions, we just want to get this done right the first time. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you give us ideas on designing our backyard?

Oh and when our neighbors put in the fence they decided not to line up the side fence with the back one...so we were hoping the emerald greens would hide that.

o

Usually, landscape projects cost enough on their own that there's no need to add unnecessaries which make them cost more, but add no particular advantage. A while later when those Emerald Greens (or any number of other plants) are completely screening the neighboring houses, one would wonder why was extra $ spent on raising the grade. And that's the question I pose now, why must the grade be raised? Plant material alone is perfectly capable of getting to the height that would screen the undesirable views. The large expense of raising the grade CREATES problems and saves only a year or two of waiting for plants to get taller. You have a basically normal looking back yard. The pitch is nothing out of the ordinary. Planting alone can accomplish all the screening that's needed. And a garden is no problem. Usually, they're not raised. They're just plots on flat or gently sloping ground. I do not understand why you think the grade must be raised or that doing so provides some great advantage. The way I see it, it adds unnecessary cost and complications you'd be better off without.

o

If you need topography for artistic purposes, a berm might be a better option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here