Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Evergreen Shrub

Posted by Britbear_ 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:55

I'm looking for a lower growing 2-3 foot, flowering, evergreen shrub to put on either side of my front steps. I was going to plant azaleas until during recent rains, I realized the area holds a lot of water when it rains, and I'm worried that the azaleas would drown. When it doesn't rain, the area dries out quickly, as it gets mostly full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Evergreen Shrub

Can you do something about the flooding? Do you have gutters there? Can you regrade to get the water to flow away from that area? Put in some drainage?

o

'Mostly sun ' is not usually the best siting for an azalea, anyway.

o

Brit,
Use decorative pots and fill it with an evergreen with flowers too.
Go to a garden center or look online for ideas.
The nicer the pots look, the better you will like it.
Something gorgeous, mabey big pots, I don't know what the area looks like, no pic, but just something to think about.
They also sell this glow in the dark paint, Rustloeum makes it, you could paint the pots with it.
Ok, now I'm getting weird.

o

I'm not sure what to do about the flooding. The water doesn't run off the house, we have gutters. It just pools there, it's like the grading of the bed is bad, but it is surrounded on all sides by the house, the driveway, and the sidewalk so I'm not sure what we really could do...

I have thought about using some planters. I'll have to look more into that :)

o

Please share a picture for us.

o

Hydrangea are pretty water tolerant.

Is there a storm drain in the driveway or the road?

You could put in a rain garden, a French drain, or if you are ambitious rip up part of the driveway to put in drainage.

Water is probably running off he driveway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here