Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy screens

Posted by candleinthewind illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:04

Love to sit on my patio during the warm months, however I hate looking at my neighbors above ground pool. I have cut out a 23 foot by 5 wide burm and planning on planting some arbor vitaes for my back row. I have bought 5, currently they are 5 feet. My question is, should I plant them in a straight line or stagger with the second and fourth planting be a little in front, instead of 5 in a straight row. Any suggestions?? I am planning on adding some plants in front of these arbor's come summer. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy screens

What do you mean by "...second and fourth planting be a little in front..." I don't understand that question at all. Maybe you could show with a simple sketch what you are talking about.

o

Sorry. I can plant 5 arbors in a straight row. Or, I can move 2 up a little from the others. Kind of like a zig zag. Did that help?

o

Makes sense to me, but I have a tendency to visualize everything before I do it, so no picture needed.

In answer to your question~I think it would be more esthetically pleasing if they were in a straight line. I seem to prefer only smaller plants usually in a flower bed done in a zig zag pattern.

o

With the understanding that aesthetics are entirely in the eye of the beholder, I'm going to disagree :-) A staggered or uneven planting is going to be much more visually appealing. A row of plants always looks artificial - nothing grows ina straight row in nature - and with something large and evergreen like arborvitaes that translates to a green wall.

A privacy screen tends to be a less defined and more informal approach than a sculpted hedge or fence for privacy purposes. If you have the space, stagger the plants.

I seem to faintly recall something from my distant formal design education past that planting in rows was a distinct no-no.........unless you were creating a formal hedge :-)

o

I'm going to disagree with gardengal a bit. I don't think that emulating nature is always the goal in landscaping. Often it's creating something "architectural" out of plants. The plantings should fit the space and since I can't see it, I can't offer a preference. It's on you, Candle, to determine the best fit. It might be a single row or it might be the staggered double row. If you don't have room enough, the double row will not be the better choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here