Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corner flower bed

Posted by lovegardening84 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 15:20

Hello
So I am creating a rather large raised CORNER cottage garden in my backyard up against my chain link fence this spring. The solution may be obvious, but how do I keep the dirt from spilling through!! I don't want to put something against the fence that will be an eyesore! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corner flower bed

Why is it necessary for the bed to be raised if that causes grade problems with surrounding features? The plant material itself can/will give height to the bed.

o

Because it was a better option than trying to amend the rocky hard existing soil yardvaark

o

Hard, rocky soil can be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's likely that if you put something against the fence, it will be an eyesore. It would be better if you could back off from the fence some amount before you place whatever will retain the garden soil. How high are we needing to go? Can the soil be bermed so that it does not need a retainer, or add height at the fence itself? How large an area? Who owns fence ... you or neighbor?

o

I would take advantage of that hard rocky soil, and randomly pile rocks up against the fence for a more natural look, and then put the good dirt up against that.

Suzi

o

multi levels with a lower level stepping up to the fence so it stil looks pretty.

o

Thanks for the good ideas ....Suzi I think I will do your rock idea...thats what the front of the border is... Don't know why I didn't think of continuing it!! Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here