Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do between houses?

Posted by dallasblooms 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 15:21

There is a swale that drains water between my house and the neighbor to the east. We both have trees to shade the front portion and over time the Bermuda grass refuses to grow there, naturally. I have raised and thinned my Chinese Pistache and Lacey Bark Elm trees but his Bradford Pear is just too dense we believe to ever get grass back. So we are looking for solutions to have some kind of cover, whether softscape or hardscape, to prevent erosion and provide a path to walk front to back.

The space is approximately 20 feet wide at the front tapering to 10 by the driveways in back, and about 50 feet long. Grass grows just fine by the driveways and a row of Bridal Wreath Spirea does well next to my house. But in between is bare - not even weeds, just tree roots and dirt. We thought of stepping stones, alternate grass, river rock, walkable ground cover, extending the planter under my trees, but don't know what's best for an area that gets a range of morning sun, dappled shade, 2 or 3 hours of intense sun, afternoon shade, and intense heat in Texas summer. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do between houses?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 20:31

It would seem like the tried and true ground covers for Texas shade would be useful here, Liriope or Ophiopogon. In areas that do get direct mid-day sun, perhaps switching to Trachelospermum asiaticum, Vinca minor or one of the Carex species that does well in your part of Texas, or even Hemerocallis. You could probably get a bit of massed height at the edges with some ferns or Nandina domestica 'Harbour Dwarf', and perhaps some Crinum bulbs would also give you some seasonal color. You might also want to have stepping stones, flagstone or cut pavers as a walk through the plantings, so you aren't having to traffic over plantings.

o
RE: What to do between houses?

Thanks for the input. I will check these options out at my local nursery. Definitely will put down pavers thru it or I'll end up with 6 inches of clay stuck to my shoes every time it rains! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here