Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front garden re-design help!

Posted by msjam2 7B DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 15:34

Hello!

I am hoping to re-do this front bed. I've had this dilemma now for a few months and can't make up my mind.

The bed is 10 ft wide so there's plenty of room.

I currently planted a nice Japanese maple (Sango Kaku) in the middle, right in front of the window.

I want to remove the boxwood. But not sure what to replace it with. I want conifers but this is a North facing bed, it gets hot afternoon sun in the summer from the west side.

Help!

photo 20140209_173947_zps2f2939d4.jpg

Last summer
 photo KodaBus1_zps2c38a204.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front garden re-design help!

You could make larger the bed,the bed' side should be S shape fluid line.replace the plants.

o

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 21:46

Sango Kaku is a very very cool and unique Japanese maple. The fire red bark makes it especially nice in winter. However, they get very big for a Japanese maple 15-20ft and nearly as wide in 10 years. You might want to consider moving that to the far left corner of the house or maybe even into the yard. If you like the look of Sango Kaku, Acer palmatum 'Beni kawa' gives that same nice bark, but much more dwarf growing to only about 7ft by 4ft in 10 years

For conifers, you will need to figure out exactly how much direct sun the spot gets. If it's over 2 hours of afternoon sun, I think you could try some really nice cultivars. You might consider:
- Sciadopitys verticillata 'Joe Kozy' (Japanese Umbrella Pine)
- Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fastigiata' (Japanese Plum Yew)
- Podocarpus macrophylla
- Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'
- Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs' - This could be a gamble, depending on how much sun you get. Cedrus is very popular in TX because it's extremly heat and drought tolerant, but does prefer a bit more sun... Might be worth a shot thought, because there are a lot of really nice cultivars in the Cedrus family.

o

Thanks a lot! I really like Degroot's Spire, I hope I can find them around here.

Here's a pic from my car this morning, the bed is S shape. I have several roses and daylilies in that bed that I'd like to keep. My biggest dilemma is the back side of the bed. I have no clue what to plant.

This post was edited by msjam2 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here