Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
He'll strip help

Posted by schwager Co (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:44

After living in our 1899 beauty for a year, we have come to the conclusion that grass is not going to survive our hellstrip despite sodding and seeding! I love roses and cottage type flowers, but am faced with pending water restrictions in the desert southwest. Please help with ideas. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: He'll strip help

pic righted.

o

What zone are you in? Type of soil sandy, clay, acid, alkaline? Average annual precipitation?

o

For the time being, why don't you just mulch the heck out of it with some fairly chunky wood mulch? That would at least give you a uniform look while you figure out a more permanent plan and it will protect the soil.
Because right now it does look patchy and kinda h*llish. Have you walked around the neighborhood to see what other people do to keep that strip looking tidy or nice?

o

I'd try to figure out why grass won't grow there before I started planting other (costly) plants.

Is there a drainage issue on bottom left side? Does the area get walked on? Is the soil compacted? Too much shade?

I als do wonder what your neighbors areas look like.

o

I like the idea of "mulch like heck" for the time being and maybe level out the area. Let what's there die off and become a blank slate. If your county has any sort of online resource for good drought resistant plants in your area, use this time to do your plant research and maybe imagine/draw up some planting ideas.

Then plant whenever is the best time for your zone (for my zone it's the late fall/winter, in general; spring is okay and summer usually means a new plant in full sun may not make it...at least under my watch). If you don't want much maintenance, maybe consider evergreen low water groundcovers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here