Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryleb_gw

New Yard Plan

cheryleb
9 years ago

Hi. It has been a while since I planned a new yard and I could use a critical eye. The yard is 46' wide by 25' deep and has west exposure. There are garden doors from the house to the area that has a deck/gazebo on the drawing (the gazebo is the white square).

The plan is to have the 12' x 20' deck along the side off the patio door. The path to the back yard will be on the other side. We intend to have large pavers in random pattern in the circle and patio with a brick trim. We intend to use stone in the planting areas and anywhere that there is no patio or step. There are two steps down to the deck from the house (6' x 3' top layer) which would put the deck at about 7-8" above the patio level.

Since it is a new build and just graded, if we have 5" of base material and then the pavers, that would raise the yard to the right level for the deck. We are assuming that we would not need any excavation done since we would have added 4" of topsoil and then sod had we been putting in grass so it comes out about the same. Is this correct?

Our thoughts are that the gazebo (white on diagram) would be the dining area, the open deck off the kitchen would be the outdoor kitchen with BBQ, the patio area between the deck/gazebo would be the seating area and the circle would be a small secluded area for a private lounging/reading space perhaps with a small fountain. We would use tall shrubs/small trees and planters to soften the edges and add privacy from neighbors.

The deck is 12 x 20, the circular patio is 12' diameter inside the edging and is 3' from the fence on either side with about 6.5' to the corner. There is about 5' between the gazebo/patio and the back fence.

I am attaching the plan (sorry the software didn't have scale) and would appreciate suggestions/opinions.

Thanks.

Comments (3)