Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowjo1_gw

front landscape plan- need suggestions- pics included

lowjo1
11 years ago

Here is a picture of the front of the house straight on, followed by a picture a bit more from the side to show where new bed will go. Hope the text on the photo is clear, but if not, here is a summary.

Looking for overall impression of plan and these specifics:

1) What can I put at the end of the new bed in front of neighbors fence (landscaper suggested spruce, but I think it will grow too large for the area. Looking for large tall shrub or tree. Need to keep it contained so doesn�t go into neighbors yard

2) Landscaper suggested coral bells for miscellaneous placement. Would rather go with another perennial in addition to the astilbe and blue fescue grass suggested. Considered purple heuchera but concerned as is over used in my subdivision- may still consider this though- any other suggestions?

3) Torn between Pink Diamond Hydragenea or Limelight Hydragenea. Any experiences with either?

Here is a summary of plan:

Remove existing 3 rugosa rose buses from front of path to house and relocate to backyard

Remove existing birch tree and move to backyard

Remove juniper around crab tree on right of photo

Expand planting bed to create island on right side of photo by neighbor�s split rail fence to sidewalk.

Move existing globe arborvitae closer together (5 under windows on right side of photo, 3 under windows left side of photo).

Add either Pink Diamond Hydragenea or Limelight Hydragenea to bed in front of windows on left side of photo in front of 3 globe arborvitae.

Add 3 new pink knockout rose bushes to replace 3 current rugosa rose bushes

Add 5 new pink knockout rose bushes to new planting bed in front of neighbor�s fence.

Add spruce tree in new planting bed (right side of photo) probably near sidewalk which I think will grow too large for the area so we�d like a large bush here or small tree (needs to be narrowish to keep it from overlapping neighbor�s property.

Ground cover by existing lilac buses flanking entrance, by crab tree, by Spruce on new island (or replacement suggestion of large bush or small tree)

5 large hosta by crab tree

7 astilbe

18 coral bells (I prefer another perennial- concerned about purple heuchera as is over used in my subdivision- may still consider this though)- grouped by hydregena, by and by porch area

11 blue fescue grasses- 3 by hydregenia and by coral bells (or other perennial we decide to use)

Thanks for any advice!

{{gwi:23978}}

{{gwi:23979}}

Comments (11)

• lowjo1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

URG! Posted wrong second pic. Hope this one has easier to read text. Sorry about that.

{{gwi:23980}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

Some plants what you selected work.
    {{gwi:23981}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:23982}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:23983}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:23984}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:23985}}

• karinl
    11 years ago

Too bad you didn't get much response. Your original query was likely too concerned with details of plant selection and the presentation was so complicated that it looked like a half-hour assignment just to get up to speed. I hope you are finding your way through your questions. A local nursery might be a better resource for individual plant selection than a forum of design enthusiasts.

Karin L

• designoline6
    11 years ago

Bad,there aren't any answers except me.We should not ignore any a poster.
    {{gwi:23986}}

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

I gave it a look. It did seem complicated--sorry. :-)

I'd ditch the miniglobe arbs there--they grow too slowly.

>2) Landscaper suggested coral bells for miscellaneous placement. Would rather go with another perennial in addition to the astilbe and blue fescue grass suggested. Considered purple heuchera but concerned as is over used in my subdivision- may still consider this though- any other suggestions?

There are TONS of heuchera choices. Why limit yourself? Get something else if you don't want purple.

>3) Torn between Pink Diamond Hydragenea or Limelight Hydragenea. Any experiences with either?

Adore limelight.

The plan now is nicely low maintenance.

• dianne0712
    11 years ago

You have a big house and your current plan seems too small to carry it. The beds as they are now are too small too. Knockout roses and flower carpet roses are wonderful. Add as many as you can - low maintenence, all season colour, what more could you ask? They look great set against dark evergreens. Try yew as it's slow growing, easily kept in check, a beautiful green not prickly like other evergreens. You may also want to add a baby blue spruce which will stay small. I have a lot of limelight in the back because they work in shade and were on sale for $7 and they're great space fillers but not very showy. I think since your house is so large and neutral you should pick something like endless summer. I know a lot of people like hostas and if you do too go for it, but to me they are overused and shouldn't be planted unless you are dealing with an are where nothing else grows. As a ground cover try red nancy lamium which is easily kept in control and will bloom profusely in spring and periodically through the rest of the summer. It has lovely variegated foliage too, so it always looks good and really keeps down the weeds.

• molie
    11 years ago

I like the contrast between Limelight Hydrangea (which gets tall) and the Knockouts. I have several Knockouts and they are great plants requiring no care plus they bloom their heads off. I'd just suggest being careful of the Limelight in front of that window. How far out from the foundation will you plant it?

Judging by the color of your car in front, your house is more grey than tan, right? So, in my opinion, you need more color contrast in the overall design. You might want to look at shrubs with different stem color or leaf color to stand out against the house. I wouldn't suggest specific plants unless I knew what kind of sun your front yard gets.

Did I read your plan correctly --- there are lilacs on each side of the front entrance? Do you know what kind they are and how tall they grow? Lilacs are wonderful but can become huge. I know there are smaller, longer blooming varieties and wonder if these are what you have.

I agree with the poster who said the beds need to be more substantial --- deeper.The peak on the left is quite tall and would be 'balanced' with larger planting bed in front of it.

FInally, please don't plant a tree where it will block the view of the front door or the windows on the left. I think the inviting front entrance and porch are two of the nicest features of your lovely home!

Molie