Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foundation planting help for a small yard

Posted by sarahrock 6 (boston) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 16:01

Hi all. The foundation area around the front of my house has turned into quite a hodgepodge and I could really use some advice on how to make it work!

Currently, the beds between my house and the sidewalk make me really happy -- they are full of perennials and look pretty awesome all summer long. In there I have russian sage, coreopsis, heliopsis, yarrow, woodland phlox, new england aster, echinacea, astilbe, heleborus and probably more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

The two beds by the front of the house, however, are pretty sad. There are 3 different azaleas -- 3 colors, no less -- that are really sad looking, a couple of daylilies (there were tons in that bed originally but last year I started removing them), two nice lavenders (which I really like), two red dogwoods on the corners (which I do like once the snow comes), and tons of bulbs (a nice spring treat, but a bit odd since they are only on one side of the house).

Since the front beds are a wild riot of blooms all summer, I'd love to keep up the cottagey vibe by the house, but I also want to keep a little height to distract from our concrete slab foundation.

I keep reading forums and looking at pictures of cottage gardens, but for some reason I can't make these little beds come together in my mind. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's a picture of how everything was looking at the beginning of March (just about the grossest time of year, but oh well).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foundation planting help for a small yard

You just said it. The beds that you are happy with are good all summer long. Now for the foundation beds you could use some evergreens. Low mounded arborvitae or yews would work well with the dogwoods. Then maybe under plant with some rushian sage. If the azaleas are not working could it be because there is too much sun? If the area gets morning sun and shade in afternoon try looking into hydrangea. That would give more depth to your entry stairs. Check with your local nursery and show this picture. Tell them what your sun exposure is as it really does make a difference as to what will preform for you. Have fun with this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here