Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1950's Cape Front Yard Ideas

Posted by jrcough MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 16:07

Hi, I have a 1950's cape and my front yard is BORING. I am looking for some ideas on what I can do to change things up. New shrubs? Walkway? Bigger mulch beds? Any help would be appreciated! By the way, the house is in New England and the front yard gets sun all day long. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1950's Cape Front Yard Ideas

Here are the pics:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=8568097008/a=41139762_41139762/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

o

The link you provided does not allow one to view the album.
It's better to imbed the photos to your message thread. Where the photo is on snapfish, explore the "share" link until you find html code for photo. Copy the code and paste it into your message here. Photo will show up when you preview.

o

My ideas:
Photobucket

o
RE: 651950's Cape Front Yard Ideas

Photobucket

o

My family has the exact same house on the Cape. It was my grandparents retirement home. My family still enjoys this cottage during the summer.
I use to visit it when I was a horticultural intern and a design student in Cambridge many years ago so I have years of doodles and sketches of what I would do if I was to move back east ( I'm now in CA ) and enjoy gardening on this piece of property.

I've always envisioned a main path from the front door to the street. Even though we always enter through the jalousie, I like the sense of gracious entry to the front door.
For practical reasons I would keep the path from the driveway to the jalousie and continue it past the front door to a quaint focal point , perhaps a rose covered swing.

I like the quintessential Cape Cod plants : climbing roses, hydrangeas, yew, viburnum, daylilies , baptisia, hosta and peonies.

As far as hardscaping goes, I love the wood fences, mail box and light poles from Walpole Woodworkers and have always imagined installing one of their picket fences across the front with a small boxwood hedge infront.
Our stoop is also brick and we have a New England slate path .

From Last Import

o

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I think we are going to combine all 3 ideas. I'll post pics when we pull the trigger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here