Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this style be more cottage like?

Posted by kjmama 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 16:49

OR do I just go with the formality this house seems to give?

Any ideas? We haven't done anything to the outside yet. I got some great suggestions here earlier on curb appeal and now am just trying to zero in on my actual plan... I really like a more cottage feel, but don't want to design against the grain.

Can anyone see a white picket fence somehow, or an arbor? What about a more decorative screen door and porch elements? Is this crazy or possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this style be more cottage like?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 18:39

I could easily see a more naturalistic garden similar to the style that Oehme & van Sweden Landscape Architects do, with large swathes of grasses and perennials, taking up to a 1/4 or 1/3 of the area against the house out towards the street. They have lots of their work on the web, just google them. The scale of the plantings and massing would complement the house without getting too busy, yet also soften the symmetry and could give a lot of color and texture. I think lots of repetition with massed plantings would better complement the architecture. You could still get a cottage garden feel with the plant choices, just don't get too "spotty" with the layout.

o

Thanks, I will check them out:)

o

I think you can get a lot of "cottage" mileage by making a small architectural change to the house. Focus on that white front-facing facade, and build a porch front and center, extending forward where the 5 green gumdrops are now lined up. The porch should have a railing, and the railing must be white. If you squint your eyes and imagine that, you actually have a terrific cottagey beginning. Then create a bright blowsy cottage garden with that part of your house as the focal point, and the rest of the house will fade into the background.

o

Thanks still lynnski - that does sound good:)

o

I say more trees. Trees make houses look cozy and snuggled in the forest...you sould plant beautiful flowering trees in the front yard, and towering trees in the backyard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here