Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Suggestions - Looking for Something Tall

Posted by kristinainaustin none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:50

My neighbors built a play structure (picture attached) about a year or two ago. This wouldn't be a problem (more of just an eyesore), however, if we are outside, their children use it for the sole purpose of watching us. I have put up with this for the past year or more, but am finally at my breaking point. I would love to be able to go in my backyard without feeling as though I am on display. For reference, our "privacy" fence is six feet tall. Any ideas? I've racked my brain (and Google) and have yet to come up with anything!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Suggestions - Looking for Something Tall

Yikes! Where are you located?

o

I am in Central Arkansas.

o

One generalized solution that can be made to work well is to place a shrub (or shrubs) that get at least 10' height in front of the fence. Grow it/them as tree forms. A single one can be repeated every so many feet if you are trying to establish a theme. Groups of 3 or 5 can be repeated as well if that works better. Those could be arranged in a double row/triangular pattern. It works best with a groundcover bed below instead of grass. If you used something like crape myrtle, you could cut/pollard it 12" higher than the fence every spring and the new growth would return/weep back down to the top of the fence. But any number of shrubs would work so select what develops the personality you wish to create.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:06

o

For immediate and temporary relief, how about setting up a table and chairs with an shade umbrella RIGHT THERE in the kids' line of sight. It wouldn't necessarily be for your use but just for blocking their view.

Or a shade sail - you could Google shade sail to see what's available. Again, it wouldn't really be for your use - just to block prying eyes.

And it would be REALLY obvious why you've put these things up. Which might make your neighbors just a little embarrassed. (And maybe not.)

o

Thank you so much! :)

o

Add a 2'x8' lattice panel to the top of the fence, and plant a couple of fast growing bushes in front of it. You can purchase the panels at HD or Lowe's. ;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here