Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly Berries

Posted by taras49 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 17:01

We are considering planting a "Jim Dandy Holly Shrub" along our walkway. Our concern is for the berries. Will the berries fall off onto my sidewalk and become a "clean up" problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly Berries

You'll need a pollinator for berry production; the sexes are on separate plants. Birds would probably eat any berries, perhaps then you'd get bird droppings. I've read berries will stain porous material like concrete, etc. - just plant any bushes back far enough so anything drops on the ground and not your walkway.

o

I don't have the option of planting away from the walkway, but I'm only planting one bush, would that mean I wouldn't get those little red berries?

o

Hollies have male and female plants, with only the females producing berries. Female plants must be pollinated by male plants that bloom at the same time.

HOWEVER...Jim Dandy is a male clone plant that is useful for pollinating other hollies so the Jim Dandy might not be the best choice for you.

This is where I get "lost" since trying to grow hollies here would be zone pushing. Best you should look up different holly varieties and what would be required to have only one specimen in your yard produce berries.

o

Thank you, we have other options that we'll pursue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here