Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping weeds out of patio expansion seams

Posted by instar8 Z 5 N.IN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 17:02

I would've searched for this, but had no idea what terms to use!
I'm hoping there is a product that one can put in the expansion seams of poured concrete patios, driveways, etc, to keep weeds from growing there? Like I said, i'd search, but would appreciate any input into the best such product from those in the know!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping weeds out of patio expansion seams

• Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 17:58

I've seen people just spray round up into the seams periodically. Of course it's not the most organic method, but it works.

o

I resisted using a non-selective herbicide like Roundup for a long time; hand digging and prying between patio bricks and driveway seams instead. Roundup is inexpensive and effective and readily available - just read and follow the label directions.

o

fill the expansion gaps with a flexible substance like a polyurea gel.

o

I use a gallon of vinegar mixed with 2 cups of salt and apply it monthly to the cracks. You may have to do some scraping and pulling of some weeds, but it works well.

o

Guess i shoulda been more detailed...I used Round-up for the lasyt couple years, but i worry about it running off into the ponds downhill, plus there're a lot of amphibious creatures around...i thought there might be some physical barrier they've come up with, salt would be an option...

Thanks all!

o

Salt getting into the ponds downhill could be potentially damaging, too. Plus I wouldn't be putting salt on a concrete driveway - though it takes time, it has its adverse effects.

Some people claim boiling water works - if you're of a mind to lug it from the stove to the driveway.

o

Distinguish between preventing and killing. Prevention requires a barrier or a pre-emergent herbicide or potion--you could sprinkle pre-emerge granules into the cracks. Can kill by pulling, or with flame, or herbicide, or various potions as above.

o

The least damaging to the environment method when using an herbicide it to paint it on with a paint brush, touching the weed tops lightly. No need to spray or pour.

When faced with down on-the-knees weeding, use a linoleum knife as the weeding tool. It easily slips into tight spaces and greatly helps to loosen stubborn weed roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here