Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodcorodco

Need alternate Sidewalk Material. Wood?

rodco
13 years ago

I have a series of 4 foot wide paths in my front yard landscape. The main sidwalk will be about 50 feet long and have several branches off of that to various parts of the garden. I had a concrete guy come and gave me a price of $5000 for regular 4" thick concrete (about (5 cu yds).

I am a carpenter by trade and figured I would build my own walk.. has anyone tried a wooden sidewalk? any photos?

Thanks

robert

Here is part of the area I am talking about.

{{gwi:24927}}

Comments (9)

• designshare
    13 years ago

I increase some village nature.

{{gwi:24929}}

• karinl
    13 years ago

Designshare should really not post first, it is very disconcerting to people who are new to the forum. At the same time, the idea of log rounds is certainly one way to use wood, though their tendency to be slippery has been commented on in this forum before. But the beauty of the form of your walk has certainly been missed in this case!

Slippery is always going to be an issue with wood, so whether it's a good idea depends to some degree on how you'd plan to finish the wood,and how you use the space. I mean, we have wood stairs, as many people do, and you can make those work with sand in the paint-type finish. But closer to the ground the wood will stay damper, hence will be more slippery and lifespan may be an issue.

So you'd need to keep it off the ground to keep it as dry as possible, and as such it's a type of deck installation you'd be doing, I think. Would look great. Would it work for daily use year-round? Maybe you don't go here in the snow. But if you do, or if you have to shovel... hmm.

Regarding frost heave, which I know nothing about, you'd probably need cement pads going down a ways.

KarinL

• designshare
    12 years ago

I really wait long long time before post,I only post a pic,I am sure it help newbie a lot.don't worry,a carpenter know how deal with water problem,there are some good material now.

• rodco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok..So after waiting all summer, I finally got around to this project last week and completetd it today.
    The wood "walkway" is made out of all pressure treated wood. The 2x6 joists are 12" OC and are free floating.
    The #1 grade clear 5/4x6 decking is secured with CAMO screw system. I was very impressed with it. No visible fasteners.

The edges have been rounded over with a router. I am going to let the oowd weather over the winter and then seal it with a semi transparent stain next spring, I want it to blend into the landscape. The surface is not slipperery at all and since it is in full sun, will not grow any algea.
    The area between the "walkway" and the stone walls is about 8" deepand will have pea stone installed this week.
    This area will allow any snow melt to drain off.
    In the spring I plan on filling in that area with potting mix and thereby creating a narrow planting bed for annuals. The plants with grow slightly over the edge and soften the look of the walkway.
    Any questions, just ask.
    Robert
    Pittsburgh

{{gwi:24931}}

{{gwi:24933}}

{{gwi:24935}}

{{gwi:24937}}

• rosiew
    11 years ago

You've done a fabulous job! Made the garden paths so distinctive. My hat's off to you for all the hard work and creativeness.

Rosie

• catkim
    11 years ago

I like the feel and sound of walking on a boardwalk, and it's rare to see this in a home garden. This concept works well with the look of your home, too.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    11 years ago

Just beautiful Rodco! If I had a carpenter available, I would have nothing but wooden decks and walkways. These are seen in a lot of the most classy shopping centers here in Northern CA., and with grasses, plants and fountains, they are spectacular. Min

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

The walks are charming to be sure, but anyone considering doing likewise should periodically review the annual how-they-are-holding-up report. I like their looks, too, but question their longevity. Local climate would have an influence in how long they last.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

Up on the Pacific Northwest coast , right on the edge of the ocean, these redwood plank paths lasted about 27 years before they had to be replaced.

St. Orres Inn , Gualala Ca.