Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to keep neighbor's weeds out?

Posted by nanarose z5/6MO (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 17:31

My yard connects to the weed patch next door. I am building a picket fence and wonder how I can keep their weeds from invading my yard. I do not want the pickets to touch the earth, I will be using metal posts. What should I put down under this area before building the fence. Also, I will be having flower beds on my side of the fence.
I plan on putting the fence about two feet inside my property line so I can install shrubs later.
Does this sound at all reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to keep neighbor's weeds out?

Two feet so you can install shrubs within that two feet or are you giving your weedy neighbor two feet of your yard? Why are you installing shrubs for your neighbor to view? Put the fence 6" inside of the property line assuming you definitely know where it is. As you put the posts in the ground hit the soil with Roundup then put down a weed barrier for two feet and mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

I agree, I wouldn't move the fence, I value all the space I can get. I too would use the weed barrier and call it good. If I saw anything close to the flower bed I'd shoot it with round up again.

Karyn

o

Agree with fence placement on or near the property line - but the key question is, what weeds are we dealing with here? And what are your local ordinances regarding property maintenance?

Absent that info, I would agree you need ground clearance under the fence to pull invading weeds. You may also need to plan for clear ground, not a shrubbery, to work around.

KarinL

o

AS above, more typically you would put the fence close to the line, let the neighbor's weeds grow up to the fence, as you would not be doing the weed-whacking maintenance, and then use a combination of a bit of a weed-free zone between the fence and your actual plantings, which you would control/patrol with weed barrier, mulch, Roundup. What kind of weeds? is important, because some will not so much crawl under and thrive, if area is shady beneath your plantings, whereas ivy, or vinca, will invade more the more hospitable you make the soil inside the fence.

You may wish to create a small passageway for you between your fence and your flower bed, depending on how deep the bed is, so that you can work from both sides of hte planting bed and control weeds more easily.

If you had a somewhat cooperative neighbor, one way to make a fence less work for him is to plant a clumping groundcover like liriope along the fenceline on "his" side, which provides a sort of cover for the bottom of the fence, will often hinder weed penetration and allow mowing right up under it (and you can actually mow it in late winter andhave it bounce back) , rather than having to hand-edge or weed-whack all along a fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here