Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gx400

Flower Bed Design help

gx400
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on what to do with this flower bed. It used to contain two large trees that had to be cut down due to a vine overgrowth on them that apparently killed them. They did grind the stumps afterwards. This was about 3 or 4 years ago.

What I'm aiming for is something that is low maintenance. I especially don't want to commit myself to a lot of weed pulling as my knees and back aren't quite what they used to be.

If possible, I'd like something that has some color, and would still look decent in winter. I'm not oppose to using some objects as well (like a big rock for example) if it would help.

Another option I suppose is to simply have the bricks removed and let the lawn take it back and just plant some crape myrtles or trees. But they are already there, so it seems like a waste not to take advantage of them.

Also, are there some small, evergreen, ornamental trees that would work in my area?

I live in Arlington, Texas. Zone 8a.

OK, remember: low-maintenance (especially weed pulling,) color, winter interest. What could I do?

Here are the dimensions of the flower bed. The bed makes a bit of a figure eight shape, so I included the width at the narrow midpoint, as well as the wider points on the ends. I also attempted to include some pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112713722491605109095/UntitledAlbum#

Arlington, Texas. Zone 8a.

The house faces North.

Inside the bricks:

15' 11'' long

6' 1/2'' S. oval width (near house)

4' 5'' mid width

5' 4'' N. oval width (nearest the street)

Outside respectively:

17' 4'' long

7'4'' S. width near house

5' 9'' mid width

6' 9 3/4'' N. nearest street

Comments (4)