Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Bed Design help

Posted by gx400 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 17:43

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on what to do with this flower bed. It used to contain two large trees that had to be cut down due to a vine overgrowth on them that apparently killed them. They did grind the stumps afterwards. This was about 3 or 4 years ago.

What I'm aiming for is something that is low maintenance. I especially don't want to commit myself to a lot of weed pulling as my knees and back aren't quite what they used to be.

If possible, I'd like something that has some color, and would still look decent in winter. I'm not oppose to using some objects as well (like a big rock for example) if it would help.

Another option I suppose is to simply have the bricks removed and let the lawn take it back and just plant some crape myrtles or trees. But they are already there, so it seems like a waste not to take advantage of them.

Also, are there some small, evergreen, ornamental trees that would work in my area?

I live in Arlington, Texas. Zone 8a.

OK, remember: low-maintenance (especially weed pulling,) color, winter interest. What could I do?

Here are the dimensions of the flower bed. The bed makes a bit of a figure eight shape, so I included the width at the narrow midpoint, as well as the wider points on the ends. I also attempted to include some pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112713722491605109095/UntitledAlbum#

Arlington, Texas. Zone 8a.
The house faces North.

Inside the bricks:
15' 11'' long

6' 1/2'' S. oval width (near house)

4' 5'' mid width

5' 4'' N. oval width (nearest the street)

Outside respectively:

17' 4'' long
7'4'' S. width near house
5' 9'' mid width
6' 9 3/4'' N. nearest street

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Bed Design help

o

The stone edging makes sense for trees, but to locate a flower bed there might strike some as somewhat artless. I'd put a couple of crepe myrtles there, ones that would get maybe 20' tall. To form them into trees would require some judicious pruning, but wouldn't require bending and stooping. They would give you some fall color, and the trunks would look nice in winter. As for weeds, you could slip out at night and hit them with Roundup.

o

Usually kind of awkward having one tree directly in front of another, but here, a pink bloomer in front of a white bloomer would give you a nice color contrast. I suspect you might be able to put an end to any weed problems by filling the rest of the bed with liriope.

o

Hmmm. I thought this thing was a classic example of a flowerbed. (What would be a good example of one?) But I don't know much about gardening or landscaping.

I have had the advice of most I've asked that I need something tall towards the back, at least up to the roof-line of the house or higher.

I suppose I could put a crape towards the back, and a 4 or 5 foot evergreen shrub like a loropetalum in the middle or the front.

But on your idea of 2 crape's, would I put some flowers (like some knockout roses) around them underneath as well?

My neighbors on both sides have crape myrtles in their front yards too.

And I probably have not given enough thought to putting 2 large quality trees back in there.

I'm still wide open for design options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here