Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Cutting Capstones for Block Retaining Wall

Posted by glensidepa (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 17:45

Hello,

I have just completed a small retaining wall around a bed in the front of my house using one of the block systems from Home Depot (specifically PaveStone Natural Impressions Flagstone). The wall came out well overall, but I'm having issues cutting the capstones that sit on top of the wall. All other stones I have been able to split using a sledge hammer and chisel, but every time I attempt to split one of the capstones it cracks (and not along a scoring line!).

Does anybody have any experience or ideas about how to make cuts on these cap stones without mis-splitting them? Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Cutting Capstones for Block Retaining Wall

a masonry saw is the ticket

o

Hi
Rent a wet saw made for stone . Be sure to get the proper wheel for the type of stone. Will save you a ton of work not to mention runined stones. gary

o

I use a quick-cut saw and don't fuss too much about the wet attachment. two things are key for cap cuts

1) make mitre cuts

2) make sure your cut is straight through the cap along the vertical line. this takes a little practice especially on thicker blocks so sacrifice one block for a few practice cuts. Once you get two perfectly sawed through so that the two caps lay together perfectly flush you are ready to begin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here