Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation Plant Suggestions

Posted by amy35603 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 18:10

I'm working on a landscape design for my front yard. I am having trouble deciding what to use to frame the house. A couple of people suggested that I use Arborvitae's...but, I'm not completely sold on this idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in zone 7....

Thanks,
Amy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation Plant Suggestions

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 1, 10 at 0:28

Sentinels at the corners of buildings emphasize rather than soften. Use something broader, such as hollies and other broadleaf evergreens - a different kind at each corner.

o
RE: Foundation Plant Suggestions

I agree about broad evergreens, assuming you have enough room.

You're so lucky the builders kept that big oak!

A bit off-topic: How far are the foundation shrubs from the house? You'll need enough space between shrubs and house for access to the house ... window-washing ... re-painting ... tuck-pointing -- not to mention using the hose! It's a good idea to allow at least a foot of free space, taking into consideration the size the shrubs will be in a few years.

o
RE: Foundation Plant Suggestions (updated w/pics and sketch)

Thank you for the comments.

Missingtheobvious - You bring up a good point. It's probably obvious that the landscaping was done by me and not a professional - and I am about as amateur as it gets. So, I decided to hire a professional to landscape the front of the house.

The landscaper has given me the following sketch for the front yard landscape design. The sketch suggests using Arborvitae's to frame the house and I'm not completely sold on this idea....

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about the sketch? Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is my first home and I am completely clueless when it comes to landscaping and garden design.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here