Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallow rooted shrub to prune as a tree?

Posted by gardenweb88 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 18:12

My front yard needs some fixing. There's an area of my front yard that used to house a 10 foot tree. We actually had to remove the tree because the roots were interfering with our mainline plumbing. Now that the spot is just dirt, would it be possible for me to plant a tall growing shrub and prune it to grow as a tree? My understanding is shrubs have root systems that wouldn't interfere with the plumbing system.

I live in So Cal, sunset 20. The planting spot is about 5 feet from the edge of the front door walkway and about 15 feet from the nearest part of the roof.

I was hoping to find something attractive for year around bright color. Pink would be ideal if possible.

This post was edited by gardenweb88 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 18:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallow rooted shrub to prune as a tree?

We don't know what kind of plumbing interference you had, but usually the problem is roots infiltrating drain pipe that is not of the best quality. The fix is usually with the pipe instead of the plant. If that's fixed and the drain pipe is completely sealed, roots will not penetrate into it. There are many shrubs that work well in the tree form. Usually, shrubs prefer to be multi-trunked so having that type of tree will be the easier to maintain. PG Hydrangea is one example that comes to mind. What pink blooming large shrubs grow in your neighborhood?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here