Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walkway between houses - drainage

Posted by david2006 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 18:21

Putting a walkway between ours and the neighbour's house. Not sure on finish layer; maybe interlock. Excavating to 9" depth. There'll be 4" drain pipes running under the walkway, and downspouts will tie into these.

Existing grass has a slope of about 0.4" per foot from the back to the front yard. In order to mate backyard level to front driveway level, I'm planning to have the finished walkway slope about 0.25" per foot, from back to front. It will also slope by this much side to side, so there'll be about a 1-1/2" dip in the center (13 feet between the houses). From what I've read in most places, 0.25" per foot of slope away from a house is sufficient.

My main question is regarding basement windows on the houses. Without ths consideration, the finished surface of a consistently sloping walkway would have been right at the level of the bottom of this window. Given that backyard drainage is being piped under the walkway, and downspouts are also feeding into this piping, only rain hitting the surface of the walkway is of concern. What is a safe drop between the bottom of a basement window, and the walkway surface?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walkway between houses - drainage

What's the lay of the land?

I get 4 - 5 inches of flowing water one the garage side of my house a couple times a year. Less on the other side.

Of course that's 3/4 way down a 800 foot hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here