Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I cover flagstone with concrete?

Posted by Pertzie none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 18:37

Hello,

I have a "stacked" flagstone retaining wall 1.5 ft. tall which sits directly on my brick patio, and I would like to cover it with concrete/cement. I really don't like it, as I am going for a more modern look. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should do this?

Thanks.
Pertzie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I cover flagstone with concrete?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 21:44

I don't know what climate zone you are dealing with, but if your budget allows, you are probably better off tearing it out and starting from scratch. Unless you significantly increase the width and height of the wall to accommodate at least a 4 to 6 inch depth of reinforced concrete cast as an overlay, I think it will break down over time due to weather, more so if you have freeze/thaw issues where you live.

o

Seconded. Take it down, that should be the easy part. Unless you are going at least 6" wider on all sides and you are sure the existing base of this wall is adequate.

Do it right the first time.

o

Thanks for the replies. I guess I knew that there would be no shortcuts :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here