Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant for privacy/blocking in shade

Posted by ollie24018 SW Virginia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 18:48

In error I had posted in the lawn Care forum....

Looking for some suggestions on what shrubs/trees to use for a somewhat privacy barrier along the back part of my lot. To somewhat block out the view of the back of the house behind us.

The area is wooded with large trees (tulip poplar and maples) and shade.

I would like them to get up to let say 6 feet or so. Probably in the range of 30 - 40 linear feet.
What is out there that will reasonably grow in the shade?
Also they need to be deer resistant. Don't what those darn whitetails eating them all up after planting.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.....Ollie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant for privacy/blocking in shade

If it's not too dense shade then perhaps the older varieties of rhododendron (rhod. maximum) would work. We grew them successfully on Long Island under the shade of tall locust trees. They were spaced about 5 feet apart and filled in nicely in about 5 years or so.

I've also grown this variety of rhododendron in very heavy shade (under a European Beech tree), but growth was very slow, and it was a little scraggly looking. However, it survived for fifteen (or more maybe...we moved) and it looked a lot better than nothing, and better than any other plant I've seen growing in such heavy shade.

o
RE: What to plant for privacy/blocking in shade

Aucuba japonica grows well in shade. It is good for privacy as it is a dense grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here