Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertrain_gw

please help with shrub/tree suggestions for my backyard

DesertRain
11 years ago

I'm in southern California, western riverside county. summers get to 110+ winter can drop below freezing, a few nights a year. my wife and i just bought a new single story home that is surrounded by two story homes, our backyard fence is five and a half feet tall, when we moved in the backyard is totally un landscaped, its bare. i had a few potted cacti that i planted in one small corner of the back yard, just want my desert plants, in one small area.

i am a person who loves tree's, and plants of all kinds, love the green look. my backyard is small, so thats the first hurdle, as i would love a much larger yard, for more trees. but that is hard to come by in southern california. so i am planning on planting 2 trees in my backyard, one a little larger than the other. smaller one needs to be around 17 ft high and no larger than 20 ft wide at full maturity, looking for something colorful in spring and fall, like maybe a redbud tree. the second slightly larger tree needs to be around 25 ft tall and no larger than 25 ft. wide at full maturity, something to create shade, but nothing too common, maybe a desert willow or chipalta tree.

Then I desperately need a privacy screen along the fence-line. something that i can either buy thats already 6-7 ft tall or something that grows fast, nothing huge, nothing over 12 ft tall, 10 ft wide at full maturity, i dont mind some pruning, right now i have no idea of what i'de like to use as privacy screen shrubs/tree's, thought about american holly, but then realized the leafs are too sharp to brush against, also considered oleanders, but i know they can get out of hand somewhat.

please give me tree ideas for the two tree's. and privacy shrub/tree idea's for the privacy screen need. thanks so much for your time, also i included the layout of my backyard. thanks!!

{{gwi:25759}}

Comments (3)