Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning blue spruces - when and how

Posted by dinosaurwi (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 18:55

It just struck me. Why should I cut down beautiful spruces? They are 15 ft tall. Is Spring pruning a good idea? Can I prune them on the top and sides?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning blue spruces - when and how

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 23:46

Only the outer parts with foliage still present can be expected to sprout from behind pruning cuts. Therefore, you will be mostly limited to shortening the new growth each spring, shearing lightly so as to minimize the nearly inevitable production of an obviously unnatural geometry and crispness. Cut part of the way through the length of the new shoots, before these have become rigid but not so soon that they are spoiled by the operation.

o

Dear Dinosaur,

Did you know that dinosaurs are believed to have munched heavily on needled evergreens?

o

They do not respond well to pruning except at the very tips to make them denser ... at best you can slow their growth down, but you are more likely to kill them.

It's a huge species, growing easily 50-80 feet tall and 20-30 feet wide at the base. If it's getting too big for the spot, remove it and plant something smaller. There are dwarf and compact varieties of blue spruce that will not overgrown your yard.

http://www.pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDisplay.aspx?PlantID=253 Sester's Dwarf Spruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Spruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here