Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dissapearing Fountain Questions

Posted by WCoast-Artist none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 18:58

Hi, I�m new to the Forum and have questions someone may be able to help with. I�ve posted this over in the Garden Accouterments forum, But it occurred to me I might try here as well. We are landscaping our backyard and our intention is to add a disappearing fountain as one of the features. My intent is to make one out of a glazed ceramic urn/vase. The urn we have selected is about 40" high and 20" wide at its� widest. My intention is to seal the inside with an epoxy sealer or a concrete sealer. I�m also thinking is should fill the bottom 1/4 with pebbles to help with stability.
I�d like to put this on a 36" - 48" reservoir. Is there a particular brand/model I should be looking at?
Some sites I�ve looked at suggest a 950 GPH pump for this tall of a pump. One I�ve been looking at is the Pondmaster 950 GPH Mag pump. Any thoughts comments on this are appreciated.
Should I be looking at additional filtration, other than comes with the pump. The immediate area around the fountain will be flagstone. The reservoir will be covered with black Mexican beach pebbles.
Is an auto-water level feature something I should be looking at as well, or do most people just monitor the level and add as needed.
Thanks in advance for any insights. Hopefully I�m not over thinking or over engineering this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dissapearing Fountain Questions

I can't stress this enough: buy everything you can from your local pond and water garden retailer. You may pay a little more than if you went online, but you're paying for the expertise of someone who will help walk you through your project and select the best combination of component parts. More importantly, when something doesn't go quite how you envisioned, you can go back to the store and they can help you fix it. Good luck getting that from Amazon.

And for the love of god please don't spend 90 minutes pumping your local shop for info and then buy online.

o
RE: Dissapearing Fountain Questions

Thanks for the follow-up, I always try to buy local. When they have what I need. Looking in a 100 mile radius, I’ve come up with two places that do a lot of this. One I like. However, they are out of the size reservoir I’m looking for, and the pumps they have don’t appear to be up to what I want to do. The other may have the reservoir, but they are high pressure, like everyone is on commission. They may have the reservoir I need and I may end up getting it from them regardless. The pond/water feature places in the area are just that. Highly focused on ponds, with an emphasis on Koi. Fountains, especially making them, just isn’t something that they have lot of experience in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here