Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identify Plants

Posted by jmcnyc 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 19:02

I saw this photo in a magazine. I have the same step in my backyard and would like to recreate this look. I am in Zone 7 (New Jersey) so I am not sure these plants would work. Any help in identification?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identify Plants

Most of these look like ornamental grasses, but you don't have to exactly recreate the exact plants. If you bring the picture with you, and find out what sun/shade exposure and type of soil you have, then you can recreate the feel and texture and/or colors of the plants with specimens that will thrive in your zone. For example look for a spiky plant where there are spiky ones, look for a ground cover for the foot of the stairs. Artemesia would work where that blue/green one is, and there are many ornamental grasses and even daylillies that would work. It would also help to know what season that pic was taken in, becoz it may be a fall picture.

o
RE: Help Identify Plants

lousiangal has some good advise.
This photo is a from a zone 9 garden.
Few of the plants will make it successfully in zone 7 but there are a good amount that can be substituted.
As an example you could use yucca filamentosa in lieu of the cordyline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here