Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help design my landscape.

Posted by chipbishop1980 Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 19:20

My wife and I have zero talent when it comes to design. I'd love to hear what your ideas are. So we live just west of Atlanta and the house faces north.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help design my landscape.

Another pic

o

And another.

o

Are people in your area able to have camellias?

o

Yes I have seen some around.

o

Here's a few ideas. The multi-trunk trees could be camellias. I think I would keep the front hedge low and let all the architectural details show. Use plants that could do these things at maturity.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 13:41

o

Yardvaark, that is awesome! So can you identify the plants? I hope that isnt asking to much. Thanks for the help!

o

Take the multi-trunk trees, for example. They could be camellias, crape myrtles, various hollies, Japanese maples, etc., etc. ... whatever suits your particular likes and requirements. You would need to decide which plant (of those that would work) does the job best. But before you do that (or simultaneously) you need to work out a scale PLAN of your front yard, showing where each plant (or group of plants if they are very small like groundcover) goes. If you need help determining what plants to use, others might chime in or you can show the plan and picture on your local GW forum or take it to your local garden center and get local advice as to what work work for each particular plant. Research the plants and make your selection.

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 22:50

I like yardvaarks drawing. I especially like the big splash of white in the front area, it ties in well with the details on the house.

I think it would look nice with a common colored flower, like red. With the gray house, white trim and black accents. Since the house faces north you could do impatence, which is an annual (dies off in the winter) but it would be a nice pop of red color (where the pinks, purples and oranges are in the drawing) . Other plants that do well in shade are hostas (mostly green insignificant flower), astilbe, which come in red, white or pink flowers.

Potted flowers on the porch would also add a nice look. I picture boxes on the rail or hanging pots.

Make sure to post pictures when your all done.

o

Thanks babera, I will definitely keep that in mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here