Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patio Pavers - Design Software

Posted by juliany 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 19:34

I've done a search of the forum but haven't been able to find any posts.
Has anyone come across software which can design a patio layout based on the size of the area, the size of the 2 stone sizes we plan to use to create a random pattern?

So as an example: We have an area which is 14 ft x 24 ft. We have thought to use 2 different sizes of a patio paver in the design which are 16 inches x 16 inches and 16 inches x 24 inches.

I was hoping to be able to visualize what the finished design would look like before buying.

I know we can calculate how many to buy, but want to get a visual picture of the different layouts we could use.

Thanks
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patio Pavers - Design Software

I have seen tesselation calculators, but they tell you what size will fit - not the other way around.

Make a bunch of scale models of the tiles in a graphics software - or powerpoint - and start messing with them.

o

Juli,

Many suppliers have a series of patterns laid out pictorial in scale for you including random patterns for their paver dimensions. They also have different thicknesses depending on your expected loading (ex. driveways instead of patios).
Aloha

o

I'm still looking for one. I am going to just cut out 1/12 scale bricks on construction paper

o

Juliany
Is the area you wish to visualize a regular or irregular polygon shape? Have you considered SketchAndCalc.com? It's a pretty helpful tool that calculates the area of any irregular shape you draw.

It has an image / map tracing function too, so if your patio can be seen from Google Maps you could trace it in SketchAndCalc to arrive at the area and perimeter.

Maybe try this:
1. Make a sample configuration of stones on the floor.
2. Take an overhead photo of the pattern.
3. Import the photo into a graphics package to scale and position, or simply print out many copies and position on the floor to get feel for the best configuration.

Here is a link that might be useful: SketchAndCalc - The Area of Irregular Shapes you Draw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here