Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aseret_gw

dog friendly... attractive dog run?!

aseret
18 years ago

I have a backyard dog run for my 3 large dogs..It is about 35 feet long x 15 feet wide & we have a chain link fence around it...we don't use the yard at all..The run is on a small incline..not too suitable for a "human party"..we stay on the deck....I open up my sliding door & they all run down the steps & play. thank goodness they don't dig holes to china...but it sure looks shabby..all the grass is gone & i have 2 or 3 paths my one setter mix has made...she has the most energy & can run for hours back & forth whenever the deer, squirrels or birds meander through...which is throughout the entire day! When it rains her pathsways, which are at the low end along the 35 foot fence length, turn to mud & she is just covered in it..!

I want to fix it up & have it dog-friendly yet somehow attractive.. I was thinking about making large stepping stones around the fence area..(maybe 6inches apart..I don't really know)....using a sturdy pizza box as a form & concrete...I was wondering if anyone has ideas on what to put under it so the rain or melting snow will not pool around it...Maybe pea gravel....I live in the Pocono mountains & the soil is very rocky...most gardens have to be raised..we even have a soil tiller thay spews up rocks like bullets! (it can be quite hazardous) I saw the message about using slats & it looks nice but I'm not sure I could do a project that large...

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate the input!

Thanks again

Comments (7)

• annzgw
    18 years ago

Have you considered the product below??

Here is a link that might be useful: Turf

• aseret
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks...I will check it out!

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I'm not a gravel fan, but my sister has several wolfhounds and swears by it. It keeps the dogs clean, but isn't exactly low maintenance and, even when maintained isn't very appealing (to my eye).

I don't recommend pizza boxes - if you want concrete stepping stones they are available (usually 16 inches, I believe) for not much more money than the concrete mix itself. They can be edged with brick, that seems to make them look a lot better. A bed of pea stone with some of you native NY rock stepping stones might be more appealing.

But how will you make the chain link fence "disappear"? That might be as big a problem as the mud and dead grass.

• aseret
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yes..that attractive chain link fence...what an eyesore! We've had it about 5 years now & I know even with beautiful landscaping that will remain a problem..we never thought of it when we got it..we were just thinking of the dogs (of course after we had it put in I saw it a vinyl coated green which blends into the greenery..not as abrasive as the silver one we have)...Since our PA soil is so rocky & hard to dig into I was thinking of a few large clay pots strategically placed around the inside edge of the fence & planting a variety of annuals & since the fence is 6 feet high I thought maybe a few window boxes here & there between the clay pots...I'll just have to improvise & distract the eye away from the fence!
    I checked out the local nursery yesterday & saw the pea gravel..I also checked out their stepping stones & other slabs that have a great look but they coat about $8.00-$10.00 a piece! I'll continue to look around...maybe molds would be better..
    Well thanks for all your input...I just have to get up a plan & wait for the weather to warm up..Have a nice day!

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I'm afraid that pots and window boxes may just draw attention to this "feature." You might want to look into some columnar trees or rampant vines - you could buy small ones and know that at least there's a plan to conceal the fence.

8 bucks each for concrete pavers is way too much - look for a stone yard instead of a nursery for this kind of material.

• aseret
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good idea...will check it out!

• annzgw
    18 years ago

*If* the fence is an issue, you could always paint it. DIL has the black powder coated fence.............and it looks great year round!