Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing overgrown shrubs , photo attached

Posted by doubleojanet 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 19:46

I have lived in this home for 20 years, the "dwarf Alberta spruce" have taken over the front porch view. I am digging them up soon, and looking for a plan for the front landscape, will remove any and all if needed. I would love suggestions for low maintenance shrubs and flowers. My husband hates the annual chore of ornamental grasses, so those are out. Next to the spruce on the left is an old Rhoda, on the right is an old holly. In the front row on the right are blue cypress. HELP!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing overgrown shrubs , photo attached

I'll be interested to see what people suggest; to me they do not appear overgrown :-)

o

The picture is too close up. Need to see yard, not just house.

o

Yard is long and pie shaped

o

About 150 ft to the street

o

Shot from the front porch

o

I like your curved step walk up to the front and your flowering tree.

I added a link about Dwarf Alberta Spruce -- I'm not familiar with them at all. However, I wondered if they can just be sheared to a smaller size? Or, if you do decide to replace them, what is the max size of plant you desire?

I think Rhododendrons are very pretty, have you considered adding a few more since the one you have seems to be doing well and is smaller in size?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Alberta Spruce link

o

Speaking from experience, Alberta spruce do not respond well to heavy pruning. Removal of the top usually encourages a slow death. Before you make a decision as to 'save or remove' suggest contacting a large area landscaping nursery to see if it has interest in buying these two specimen trees from you. I have carefully hand dug similar sizes in the fall successfully and mature plants such as this can always find a home in a major landscape plan.

o

I am not selling, saving or trimming the Dwarf Alberta spruce, my question was for suggestions for suitable low maintenance replacements for the spruce,

o

ask at your local nursery

o

One one hand, it's a shame since your specimens seem to have avoided what plagues so many of them - die off on one side, mite infestation... also losing that oh so cute "dwarfiness" that captivates so many at the nurseries.

On the other hand, if they stay healthy, they'll just keep growing.

If it's a conifer you're looking for as replacements, I'd post at the Conifers Forum - very helpful folks with good ideas (and beautiful conifers of all shapes, colors and sizes in their yards). For a carefree shrub, perhaps one of the Ninebarks. They're deciduous, but they do develop the interesting multi-colored peeling bark.

o

my picture is addressing only planting at the foundation. would go with round shrubs instead of cone-shaped. Fill in between with a 30" height hedge.

o

doubleojanet, you should give some kind of a reply so it is apparent that you didn't just abandon the thread. Don't know if you saw, understood, need more ... or what.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here