Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting small shrubs and perennials...maybe an annual

Posted by NJ_Mike 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 19:51

I'm trying to come up with a plan for the front of the house. We had to have a tree taken down and the exposed roots were ground out. The front yard looks like a bomb went off. I'm going to plant grass in the fall but I want to do some landscaping near the house. I have about 3ft by 30ft area I want to work with...i may decide to make it a little bigger. I'm planning on putting border of some sort, stone or something, the filling the area with good soil. I want to plant as few small shrubs, irises, would like to plant another perennial that blooms at a different time then the iris and I was also thinking about planting small sunflowers...to ambitious? The most important parts are the small shrubs so there is something there when the flowers aren't blooming and the irises(they're my wife's favorite flower) Any ideas on what would look good together? Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting small shrubs and perennials...maybe an annual

You really need to post some pics that show the context and situated and conditions.

o
RE: planting small shrubs and perennials...maybe an annual

Mike, you so need to go to your local nurseries with your questions, and not to a national/international forum.

Visit some nurseries (ideally not big box stores, where the salespeople don't necessarily know anything and the plant selection might not be that great), take a picture with you of the area (from a bit of a distance, not just of the dirt!), and note the light condition (east facing or what have you).

The trick to shopping for plants for the whole season is to shop not just in the spring but a couple of times per year. The nurseries will usually be featuring what is in bloom just at that time. Or if you are buying it all at once, study plant tags and ask questions to find plants that are not in bloom yet when you are shopping.

All that said, you might enjoy lilies for after the irises, but if you are planting right at the house wall they will maybe lean out a bit for the light. Better in a bed that gets light from all around.

For shrubs, maybe rhododendrons for blooms before the irises get started.

Oh, and the irises will need sun, so will bloom best if your bed is either west or south facing... which would not be so good for rhododendrons. So that information is needed to make a plan.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here