Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_johnson_gw

Adding privacy to your yard

susan_johnson
10 years ago

I was reading a post on this blog (below) and was wondering how many people have been landscaping for privacy recently? I have pasted a little from that post. Please let me know what you think.

"Mankind has made great headway in the arena of landscaping, but sometimes mother nature knows best. Using natural shrubbery to isolate your yard is an economically and aesthetic way to add privacy to your space.

Don't forget to read Adding privacy to your yard Part I: Manmade Solutions (http://bit.ly/11Ae3wB) to get the full scoop on adding privacy to your backyard.

Hedges. A hedge is effectively just a wall of plants. You get to decide what the wall is composed of. Hedges can be of purely aesthetic benefit or they can take the place of a fence for screening purposes. Hedges provide excellent coverage from unwanted onlookers and unsightly views, and they are an economical option for both uses."

Read more: http://bit.ly/ZLeLnM

What are some of the best methods that you have found for adding privacy? Have you used any of the methods in this post? I am trying to figure out what is the best way to get my husband to add these additions to our backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adding privacy to your yard Part II: Mother Natureâs Remedies

Comment (1)

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

Hedges. A hedge is effectively just a wall of plants. You get to decide what the wall is composed of. Hedges can be of purely aesthetic benefit or they can take the place of a fence for screening purposes. Hedges provide excellent coverage from unwanted onlookers and unsightly views, and they are an economical option for both uses." - How long can you wait for the hedge to grow? What happens if one of the 9ft conifers dies , can you find one to replace?

Most clients want immediate satifaction and somethings plants do not grow fast enough, and then dont stop growing at just the right height.

The one photo that looks like a wall of privets, ---- would you want to prune?
    I think you need to evaluate - how much privacy you really need, does it have to be with plants, can a fence work, how much time you have to prune and care for the hedge.....
    Interesting read - HGTV!