Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of back yard ideas..

Posted by yogi_2009 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 19:53

Hello,
We purchased a house 2 yrs ago with two large front and back yards. There are trees bordering both front and back yards. There is no fence and there is a 40-50 ft distance between neighbors on either side. A new development recently came up in the back, that completely ruined the little privacy we already had.

In the back we have a slightly elevated deck and large concrete slab (maybe put in for future construction?!). The two are separated by a stone walkway w/flower bed. There is a small fenced in vegetable garden on the back property line.

Thoughts:
- Install privacy fence along the back property line.

- We hate the bare concrete slab. One suggestion is to install lattice panels around the perimeter of the area with an entrance connecting to the deck and the back yard. We've never seen an actual example of this so we are a bit hesitant. Growing plants around this area is also a thought. We plan on using this area for entertaining.

- Since the back yard is bare lawn we're considering evergreens along the deck.

What do u think of our thoughts? We have zero privacy and lots of lawn and I'm not a fan of lawn. Any other suggestions..I can post pics if thats needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of back yard ideas..

Installing a privacy fence along the back property line, I would think, would be a must (I like privacy, too!).

The concrete slab is an odd thing to deal with. I would connect it to your deck with some stepping stones or flagstone pathway to tie it together. Perhaps on the back 1/2 you could install the lattice panels with vines growing up. That would give you a sense of privacy without feeling boxed in. Using part of that slab for storage is another idea. I never have enough outside storage.

Since you want to take part of your lawn out for flower beds, I would get a plan for the entire yard before starting anything. Take your lawn and decrease its size by drawing flower beds around the outside perimeter in large curves, and try to incorporate a portion of the slab and deck areas, too. This will also help tie everything together as well as cut down on mowing. This can also increase your privacy with large shrubs/trees in your plantings. I think making sure you have a complete plan before starting is the most important thing.

o
RE: In need of back yard ideas..

Maybe the concrete slab was for a portable basketball hoop? You could put a gazebo on it with chairs inside, or create a sitting area with the lattice as you said. You could make a low brick/rock wall around it with a couple openings to lead to the yard. Maybe make an elevated berm with evergreens and bushes planted in it; that way they can be at the edge of your lawn not the edge of your patio, and you'd feel more a part of the whole yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here