Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Leyland Cypress

Posted by my3babypeaches GA (7) (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 20:03

I have three Leyland's that need to be transplanted. I was told that it's best to wait until fall but I would really like to have them moved now. They are about 6 ft tall (1-1/2 yrs old). Do you think it would be okay to move them if I water daily?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Leyland Cypress

There is also a tree forum, which is your better bet for most questions that are narrowly focused as yours is on whether or not you will succeed in transplanting these trees at this time in your zone and conditions.

I did a quick Google checking what came up in a search for the price of Leyland cypress in Georgia. From a very rapid search, and I didn't save specifics, looks like you could replace these 3 trees for about $120. Less if you bought smaller or found a sale, which shouldn't be hard since I didn't look long.

Leyland cypresses are monsters. They are also common. Using them in the home landscape means knowing what you want from them. They grow very fast and can get very large. They are often helpful as a green screen or green fence, creating shade and/or privacy in a short amount of time. But, as one Georgia gardening newsletter put it in my brief survey, they can eat houses. That article noted the "leyland" mistake often made of planting them 2 feet from the foundation or next to a mailbox.

So, I'd weigh your odds. Odds are with some care that these trees won't mind the move at all. And, if they do, they are not that expensive to replace. With any luck you'll kill them off and can replace with something better.

o
RE: Transplanting Leyland Cypress

I'll agree that Leylands are monsters. My neighbor to the south planted a hedge of them on his northern boundary. They're now about 40 or 50' tall.

In winter, the sun literally never hits the southern 60' or so of my yard. This year I had snow on the ground for 8 weeks solid. Luckily the driveway gets enough sun at the end of the day that ice hasn't been a major difficulty.

The worse news: if the neighbor doesn't cut them down, his Leylands may reach 130' or more. I've thought about sabotage....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here