Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aep109

Help with privacy planting in back corner of yard

aep109
14 years ago

My neighbors recently decided to trim all of the trees in their yard and essentially turned their maples into palm trees. Now, I have a clear view to the house behind them, which I'd like to screen.

The maples still provide some shade, so I'd call it a part shade area, sloped slightly, with decent drainage. I'd like something evergreen so that the screen will block the view into my family room in winter as well.

I'm VERY new to landscaping and have been trying to do research so I can learn, but I've realized there are far more plants/trees in this world than I'll ever know.

So far all I've come up with is Thuja, but I don't want it to look too formal. But, I need it to get fairly tall and it is along a fenceline.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to post a photo, but haven't figured out how yet.

Also open to any suggestions on how to learn all this stuff without going insane. I've read two books, but it is learning of what plants are out there that is killing me. Is there a master database that anyone recommends that shows photos? Plant names require constant googling and I'm never sure if I'm looking at a mature plant or what season, etc.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)