Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need an anchor plant/tree/shrub

Posted by clouts69 z5 NH (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 20:25

Hello,

I will be replacing a Blue Spruce that has needle cast. For two years I have tried to eradicate it but I can't. The tree is small enough to take out and I'd like to extend my current planting bed to encompass this area but I would like to replace it with another evergreen, if possible. I'd like something that does not grow over 10-15' (no Alberta Spruce - already have two) but can't find anything that does not get too tall. If not, then a nice small deciduous tree (flowering perhaps) or great shrub (Purple smoke for example) will work. I don't get full sun all day so something that tolerates partial shade (probably why needle cast dug in). What do you suggest? Click on link to see planting area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front yard planting area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need an anchor plant/tree/shrub

Maybe maple,azalea,privet... work
Photobucket

o

You might go to the tree or conifer forums for a considered discussion of a specific tree. Or, if you're unlikely to go hunting for whatever is recommended, start at the local nurseries and see what you have to choose from. Me, I don't know your zone well enough to recommend anything.

KarinL

o

Designshare, how cool is that!!

o

Ok,I post color origin pics here

Photobucket

o

To anchor the new bed extension, you might consider the Skyrocket Juniper or the Emerald Green Arborvitae. Though the juniper might be a better look for your landscape. Both grow in the 15 or so foot height range. I found a link for you below,
Some low growing plants to use in the bed as fill in would be low growing ornamental grasses, evergreen ferns, heucheras, dwarf nandina firepower, dwarf hydrangeas, creeping cotoneaster and potentilla.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skyrocket Juniper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here