Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me figure out what to plant here! (Pictures)

Posted by bellatrix (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 20:25

In the picture: Left of what I usually refer to as "the ugly mounds of dirt" on either side of the steps of the side-porch. I'm having a very tough time finding something that will grow there. I tried Lily of the Valley (which after researching, everyone seemed to warn that it would take over) and it seemed to do O.K., until my dog decided to lie on top of them/trample them daily. So my plan is to built up the mounds 1-2 inches with 3 year old manure (which I have in a large supply, since this is a farm house) and try the LOV again, and try and keep my dog out of it....unless someone has a better suggestion? It's shady and acidic no thanks to the pine trees. I usually put black mulchh in the rock border around the trees, since I have always been pretty sure nothing would grow that close to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: left view

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me figure out what to plant here! (Pictures)

It's really hard to tell what we're seeing from this one picture. And very importantly, where are you in the 'US'? From what I can see, the problem likely is not so much shade as it is the soil.

Yes, spread the old manure, but fork it in some. Don't just spread it on top. And try the LOV again. There are other things that will probably do well there.

At this point, work on the soil, I think.

o

try some Hostas and Heuchera both have some very nice foliage. Also if there is sufficient sun you can plant day lilies they have tons of color so you don't have to worry about the plain old orange. all three sugestions go up to at least a zone 3(me!:) and I know of some that are in zone 1 and 2.
if you are dealing with a shade type area go to the Hosta forum there are way more suggestions for different shade tolerant plants they are nice there will suggest some flowers too. There are almost too many options to list you should probably let people know your zone so they can suggest ones to fit your zone better.

If all else fails plant some high bush or low bush blueberries they love acidic soils here in Maine it's one of the most thriving plants with all theses pines! :)
Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hosta/

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 20:37

My mom has a large area of LOV and I wouldn't want one in the front of my house. They are lovely in springtime but don't look like much the rest of the year, and they show damage (like from dog traffic) more than some other choices.

You could use Sweet Woodruff (my favorite), hostas, bleeding hearts, vinca minor... there are lots of shade tolerant or shade-loving choices that will do well once the soil is less compacted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here