Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Where Should I Place the Pergola???

chueh
11 years ago

Originally, our front yard was of all lawn, except the middle island with the 2 maple trees and some bushes in front of the house along the perimeter. I have never liked the placement of the 2 maple trees, yet they were too big already to be moved to somewhere else.

The problem is that my husband insists making a pergola himself with much enthusiasm for the front yard on the lawn. I told him that there isn't really a suitable place for a 10'x10'x10' (about) pergola around or next to the 2 maple trees. The existence of a pergola would be a focal point of the front yard, yet the 2 maple trees there seem awkward. I could picture a pergola surrounded by a few or a lot of trees as a backdrop, but not the competition between the 2 trees and the pergola, both of which are not complement or support each other in the case of our yard to say the least.

However, my husband has to make one. Oh well... so I have been thinking perhaps I can extend the middle island 2 or 3 times as big as it is now towards the driveway. We will use the grass as the walkway around the island. I will plant more shrubs and plants there. I am, however, still stuck with the placement of the pergola. Where can I put it??? Perhaps little bit towards the front next to the maple tree which is close to the driveway? I don't know?

Please help. Thanks

Picture taken from the front driveway:
{{gwi:26805}}

Picture taken from the half way of the driveway towards the house:
{{gwi:26806}}

Picture taken from the second floor inside of the house.
{{gwi:26807}}

Comments (12)

• chueh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Location is not my husband's concern at all, but he just wants a simple pergola to show his skills. That's all there is to it. He has no concern about landscaping at all or WHATEVER I plant around.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

A freestanding pergola situated at a remote location in the front yard would seem out of place. At the sides or back of the house would be better. How good are the hub's pergola-building skills?

On another subject, do you want that Maple to establish a 2nd leaning trunk that ultimately becomes half of the tree and then can't justifiably be removed? Or do you want a single trunk tree? If the latter, you'd better remove the competing trunk promptly.

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Yardvaak, thanks for the reply. The reason why we left the 2 maple trees alone is because we try not to kill any trees as possible (no offense to anyone who does remove any tree for any reason). We are not going to remove them at this point either to make the landscape better or for the pergola.

I agree with you to have a pergola in the backyard, and I actually was thinking of it before I posted here. However, the conditions of our backyard and the front-yard are very similar regarding having a pergola at a remote location. That's why I posted about the front yard, due to the grassy area being open.

Despite of that, I would appreciate any suggestions for placing the pergola in the backyard though. As long as there is a better place to situate the pergola which blends with the landscape well, I will respect and be grateful for them.

I forgot the take the picture for the left side backyard. Please ignore the 3 cans in the middle yard, which are my husband's practicing target for his BB gun (laughter track...), and the black hose on the right side in the backyard. Thanks

Left side of the house:
    {{gwi:26808}}

Right side of the house:
    {{gwi:26809}}

Backyard from the right side:
    {{gwi:26810}}

Backyard from the middle:
    {{gwi:26811}}

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

A pergola offers some protection from the sun. Where would that be useful? Where people sit outside. Probably over the patio or someplace very near where patio or seating area might go ... oriented or connected to the house so that it flows/makes sense with the architecture.

"...is because we try not to kill any trees as possible (no offense to anyone who does remove any tree for any reason. We are not going to remove them at this point either ..." You do not understand my comment as I'm not saying/did not say, kill or remove any tree. I'm saying pay attention to it's form/trunk structure while young or be stuck with an inferior form/trunk structure for the rest of its life.

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah-ha! Thank you Yardvaark. Why did I not think about a pergola over the patio before, despite the fact I have seen it in many places? Great suggestion! Thank you thank you.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Is the size and shape of the pergola set? There are many styles and shapes possible that could be easier to work into your landscape. If your husband really wants to show off his skills, there are even curved pergolas. The basic shapes are much easier to design and install, though.

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Gyr-Falcon, for your reply. No, my husband really has NO carpentry skills, but he just wants to learn how to do it by making a pergola with a simple plan he has already

• molie
    10 years ago

Please don't take this the wrong way--- just a friendly warning. If your husband has NO carpentry skills and if this is going to be his FIRST construction piece, have him build it in the back yard. A freestanding pergola in the front yard with no real purpose will look awkward and out of place if it's not used for seating, dining, etc. Plus, you seem to already have a small patio area in the back that could probably benefit from a pergola.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Unless your husband is the type that risks departing fingers from body with the lift of a power tool, it is not necessarily a bad thing to want to test ones skills in new areas. While starting with a pergola is ambitious, as long as he doesn't cut corners with structural supports and such, they are not complex construction projects.
    If worse comes to worst, we can always meet you over in the vine forums for suggestions on quick cover-ups. It is a pergola after all. If it were a gazebo that turned out less beautiful than envisioned, that could be awkward suggesting covering it with a plant. ;-)

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both Molie and Gyr_Falcon. I agree... I was actually afraid of his attempt, but he seems so enthusiastic...Thus.... Yeah, I was so happy that Yardvaark suggested it over the patio. Not only is it a perfect idea, but also it's kind of hidden when looking out through the windows. I fear the awkward looks of the pergola his skills would create.

Gyr_Falcon, too funny about what you said "If worse comes to worst, we can always meet you over in the vine forums for suggestions on quick cover-ups."

Will do :-)

• tgmccallie
    10 years ago

I agree, your front yard is no place for the Pergola. I would place it in the back yard near the patio. You already have the small rocks for the base. You will like to put some seating and maybe a small table under it for dining and entertaining. I would also suggest a free standing BBQ grill.

I have just recently had a pergola build which is near my pool. I had it over my outdoor kitchen which has a bar behind it with seating. I will link a picture if I can.