Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

need balance help/ideas

kjmama
9 years ago

We have lived in this house for almost four years now and are more than ready to help the outside. I know there are architectural challenges that could be improved, but we are just wanting to focus on planting right now. Any big picture ideas to help balance the yard and soften the house? The house faces southwest and there is a slope towards the road and the driveway. Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

good starter photo, but also need one from closer to show what's up with foundation hardscape, etc.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kind of embarrassing, but true

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Hey, I like that ... once you get to the top, it's okay to fall off! :-)

Later.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) not the kind of balance help I meant:)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

deleting. pic did not come through.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:51

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The first impression is that the house seems naked, overexposed, unprotected. "Filtering" each end of it with a mini-forest of flowering trees, framing the view a little with a street tree(s) and stabilizing the foundation with some shrubs, perennials, groundcover and a little seasonal color could help balance and finish the overall picture. Of course, the colors used in the drawing are immaterial.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, this is great! What program do you use? What do you think about some evergreen shrubs in the mix?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

MS Paint.

I think there are some evergreen shrubs in there.

• catkim
    9 years ago

When I look at the house and note the south exposure and the probably northerly location, I would really value the sunshine coming in the windows. For this reason, I would make sure trees are far enough away from the house so they would not interfere with the light. Placing an airy tree diagonally out from the right corner (as viewed in the photos) would be good. (By contrast, the evergreen conical tree is the opposite of airy, but is fine in its present location away from the house.)

Developing a garden front and center from the door with some hardscape -- paths, some partial low walls for definition, and defined beds, all low-growing massed plants, could enhance the house design by breaking up the stark contrast between house and lawn, and would give you places for benches or a birdbath, some ambience to draw you outside.

In your searches look for parterre, formal herb garden, or massed plantings. Maybe something will click for you.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you catkim. Yes, light is huge issue. The back of our house is so dark and the front light is precious. What kind of airy trees were you thinking of in this case?

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you catkim. Yes, light is huge issue. The back of our house is so dark and the front light is precious. What kind of airy trees were you thinking of in this case?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"The back of our house is so dark..." I will bet that if I saw a photo of the back yard, I'd see some tree trimming that needed to happen. Just guessing.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are next to a wild farm, not our property. But really, no shade from the trees is cast to our house. The darkness really comes from the position of the house and a porch on the back.
    I really would like ideas for the placement of a larger shade tree on the front nearest to the driveway. I'd like a very light shade, as we have mentioned the light.
    I also am really liking hydrangeas. Any thoughts on those as foundation plants.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?