Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help landscaping my front yard

Posted by NinjaKicks Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 20:46

Hi,

It's getting to be that time of year, and I was looking for advice on planning out the landscaping in my front yard. I'm pretty new to landscape design (but not gardening), but wanted to do it myself, and was looking for ideas as to what plants to use, layout, etc.. I've attached a picture of the front of the house (I'll try and get some more to put up later). Thanks for your help guys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help landscaping my front yard

It would be good to post a picture that shows an overall view of the front yard from the street back. It's necessary to see some of what's outside the yard, at its sides. For wide lot, it's best to pan the camera (while remaining in the same position) to show the left, center and right views. (Don't make a panorama out of the photos because it distorts the image too much.) For doing your own design, you should also prepare a to-scale plan view sketch that shows all of the elements (house, walk, drive, trees, shrubs, etc.) that will remain.

o

I forgot to take some pictures today, but here's one I had on my harddrive taken from the street. Sorry, the front yard is big so it's hard to get a good shot of the front. You can see there's three mature maples in a triangle in front of the house (two on the left are directly behind one another). I'll see if I can post some better pictures from the sides.

o

Here's a better shot from the left (sorry, not sure how to upload more than one picture per post). The left side of the house could use some work too, I'll see if I can get a shot of it tomorrow.

o

Though simple, there's a lot of charm built into this house. (I can't bring myself to call it a ranch!) What's the small tree tucked into the niche corner? And the vine on the garage? The slab stoop at the front door seems fairly wide and in proportion with the house, but the walk leading to it looks positively minimal. Any thoughts about beefing that up to a classier look? Some tree limbing up seems in order.

While other pictures are useful, too, those taken from a front-and-center location are the best ones to start with.

o

I'll try and take a better front and center picture today to post after work and see about identifying that tree (flowering bush? Not sure what it is) in the corner. What would you have in mind for the walk? Any plant recommendations for the bed? It's a huge area (I'd guess nearly 6-7 feet from the wall of the house), and right now there's practically nothing in it. I'll see if I can sketch it up on graph paper, to give a better idea of the space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here