Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design Ideas?

Posted by pbones72 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 21:00

I am looking to re-plant a section in the front of my house. The whole front is looking tired but I wanted to start with this bare spot. I planted a maple tree in front of this area last year. This area faces east, zone 6 NY. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_JREb164Lhmc/TZ0JDcQzmcI/AAAAAAAAACA/-wg4ViVaMEw/s640/house scan0003.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_JREb164Lhmc/TZ0I7-s-WGI/AAAAAAAAACA/Le7YAC24Ka8/s640/house scan0002.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design Ideas?

Sorry. Here are the pics.

o
Sorry- Bigger Pics

o

The right side of your site is quite instructive in that it shows definitively that tall plants with this house do not flatter it nor make it look welcoming!

But within the parameter that you keep plantings lowish, I think the bed would lend itself to dozens of different planting plans, depending on what kind of a gardener you are and what kinds of plants you like. Anything from a nice arrangement of annuals, redone every year, to a selection of rhododendrons, to a variety of generic landscaping evergreens and Japanese maples to a low hedge would work, but it depends on what kind of maintenance work you want to do and what look you want.

Depends on whether you want to be lulled to sleep by the bed or punched in the eye with it when you come home :-) Whether you want to fit into a conservative neighbourhood or stand out in an avantgarde one. To such a large degree, landscaping is done for people, not for sites!

What kind of maple is that? If it's a tall one, I don't think I like the placement, at least not from the perspective of this photo. It will block the window, and for that it is too close to the house.

KarinL

o

Thanks for the ideas. We definately need a full landscape/hardscape makeover.We might go with annuals for now until we do everything over. I placed the tree there to help shade the house and keep away from the power lines(utility trims trees with no regard).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here