Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door color on a house with red brick

Posted by lg2451 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 21:15

I would like to paint my front door a different color, but am not sure what color is most appropriate. I really have my heart set on a red, but that may be a problem with the red brick. Right now the door is a very dark green. There are no shutters, but there is a lighter color of green on the siding of the house. I am more than willing to paint the siding if I need to. You can see the all of this in my pictures. I am including the link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357771@N04/

I'd love any help I could get here. Soon I will start cleaning up this front area - yard, landscaping, etc... Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a porch color? I can't afford to have it tiled at this point, and right now it is painted a redish clay like the brick... with a porch paint.

I would love recommendations for front door color, corresponding porch color, and even siding color. I want to feel good about this house again.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door color on a house with red brick

some pics can help some:
http://groups.myspace.com/gardenideas

Here is a link that might be useful: share ideas

o

I quite like the black door and the porch floor matching the brick. It's classic, simple, elegant and matches the style of the house in my opinion. If you want to add more vivid stuff, I'd go for big pots of tropical annuals like cannas or something and put them a little ways away from the house. I'd keep the pots very understated - simple square pots in a darker color, rather than anything too ornate. Actually if it was my house, I'd probably would keep the plantings at the front of the house fairly subdued and classic and save the showy, colorful stuff for the backyard. But it sounds like you're 'itchin' to go wild....:- )

o

Better Homes and Gardens has a color-a-home interactive program that lets you change colors on a home's door, siding, etc. I used this when I was changing colors of my home - red brick with green siding and a yellow door! I would have never done this except for this program - and everyone loves it! (It looks great with my Julia Child roses in bloom.) Good luck with your decision!

Here is a link that might be useful: BHG - color-a-home

o

Hello! I am agonizing over siding, trim & window colors to go with our ranch house that has lots of brick. Brick has numerous shades of red, some yellow & brown hues and also a black one here and there. I would LOVE to see a pic of your house. Would you mind sending me one? I'm going to try the site that you mentioned as well.

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here