Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nymomof2

New Construction on 5 acres not fine graded/no lawn

NYmomof2
11 years ago

UGH I don't even know where to start. We built a house on 5 acres of land that use to be farmland. We had a huge falling out with our contractor and we ended up having to move into the house without it being fully completed. Our land is rough graded, but has not been fine graded and we do not have a lawn (sod/seed). Our lawn is basically farm weeds...it's green, but not true grass. Our issue is that we do not have extra funds at this time to put in a lawn and not sure when we will. In the meantime, I wanted to at least get the house looking nice instead of a construction site. Here are my question:

I want to do a simple (budget friendly) walkway to the front door with flower beds. Our house faces East with a 3 car side loading garage. It's an extremely long and unfriendly walk to the front door so obviously everyone uses the garage door to come in, but it would be nice to make the front appealing. Is it stupid to do landscaping BEFORE putting in a lawn if I only want to do flower beds contouring the house? Basically, will it interfere with fine grading when the time comes to put in a lawn? My thought was if I did the landscape portion now, I would save money on needing to seed a huge area that will be dug up anyway to put flower beds, trees, walkway, etc.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists